The post below was originally made on Disrupt Your Diet on March 18, 2015.
In the weeks leading up to me penning this post, I was requested to be shoved into a Fit1point0 shaped box for the sake of "exposure" on a "new and different" fitness magazine's website.
In the months leading up to this post, I'd been getting messages from trainers all over the world telling me that they're doing what I'm doing at Surf City Fit Club to make fitness more accessible, approachable and inclusive for all people. There were also professionals asking me for guidance on how to reach the types of people I was reaching at SCFC. I knew I had to unite us all together somehow.
I sat down and wrote a ranty blog post. It was fueled by my desire to shout from the rooftops that THERE IS A BETTER WAY.
There's a better way to fitness. Fitness is supposed to enhance our quality of life, not detract from it.
A few weeks after this blog post was written, I recruited my partner Danielle and we put a label on these seven items. They became the Seven Pillars of the Body Positive Fitness Alliance. They became the absolute standard for inclusive fitness and they became THE way to bring the most people to fitness.
We just celebrated our first birthday with 30 professionals gathering from all around the world for our inaugural Two Day BPFA Affiliated Professionals Workshop. And just last week became incorporated at Body Positive Fitness Alliance, Inc.
To celebrate, here's that ranty blog post. If year ago me knew where this was headed, her mind would've been blown.
What is #fit2point0 about? How do we define it?
1. I choose to provide an environment where anyone from any walk of life can step foot in and move their bodies without worrying about what they look like while doing it.
2. I choose to eliminate any intimidating elements from this space which I provide. I understand the difference between intimidating and challenging.
3. I apply the fact that the two greatest motivators are the power of choice and FUN.
4. I have built a community free of egos and full of heart. I have taught my members that "fit" does not have a look. Anyone who walks in our doors is a member of our family. We celebrate each other's successes, we lift each other up when down and we don't stand for judgement.
5. I refrain from commenting about others' food choices because I understand that all food is good food and foods hold no moral value. I understand that the socioeconomic, environmental, familial, cultural, emotional and preferential reasons behind what someone might be eating are vast and more deeply rooted than any one person can begin to understand.
6. I live in the belief that health is equal parts mental, physical and emotional. Balance is the key to health and one third cannot thrive if another third is suffering.
7. I believe in praise and celebration of what one can do and not what one looks like. I understand the damage which is done to individuals when they are encouraged to take up less space. I understand that happiness does not increase or decrease based on one's size- no matter how much someone thinks it might.
My name is Michele Burmaster and I am #partofthesolution. Are YOU on board?
Are you REALLY on board? Do you agree 100% with every one of these ideals?
A great wave of change is coming to the fitness community. It involves the inclusion and health of ALL individuals without the need to subscribe to a culture, extremism, diet, method, trainer, schedule, workload or belief system.
It involves breaking down every single last barrier between the general public and their best possible selves. Their fittest selves.
We are taking back fitness. It should've never belonged to anyone to begin with. Fitness is a right, not a privilege.
And with that, BPFA was born. Review those bullet points for a second. They're where this was born:
5. Scope of Practice
6. Full Heath
7. Body Positivity
So, are you ready to come on board? Future and current fitness professionals are invited to join us for our next BPFA Affiliated Professionals Workshop. The next one is a remote workshop you can attend from anywhere around the world. See you there!
Keep the wave of change going. Soon enough, it'll be 95% of people who identify as fit, instead of just 5%.